Thursday, May 5, 2011

Water for Elephants - Review


As a young man. Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth. It was the early part of the Great Depression, and for Jacob the circus was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of his degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was ultimately their only hope for survival.

I'm not going to lie I picked this book up reading it before I go and see the movie, I mean who doesn't do that. I know I would regret not reading the book first before seeing the movie and trust me I don't want to go there. Anyway I picked up this book after seeing the trailer for Water for Elephants. I'd seen the book here and there, but never really thought I'd like it, but after seeing the trailer and finding out it was a romance I picked this book the next day! It took awhile to read, but it was very good. I must say I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  

Plot - ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ The plot was very, very good! I couldn't believe how good it was. I haven't read a book with a plot likes this in awhile. Now I have to admit that the Great Depression has always fascinated me! I love reading about hoboes and how life changed for though who really took it for grated. This book sucks you in and you feel as if your there, your Jacob Jankowski working as the circus vet and seeing what he was seeing, smelling what he was smelling and just living what he's living. I give the plot five stars because it deserves it for beginning a very good book that draws you in and makes you feel as if your there! 

Writing - ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ The writing was very well done! I never found myself feeling as if I would scream if I read another word, or wanted to throw the book across the room because I couldn't understand the way it was written, it was the opposite of that entirely. I give the writing five stars! 

Characters - ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ I really found myself enjoying the characters. They were well thought out and done very well. I found myself feeling as if I was there standing next to Jacob, Marlena, Walter, or even Rosie. They just seemed so real and life like. It's difficult to find that in some books, but this book had it and I couldn't stop reading even if I tried. I give the characters five stars!  

Jacob Jankowski - Jacob is your average college student studying to be a vet and join in his fathers practice when he receives shocking news: both his parents have been killed. He soon draws away from the real world and just sit in his own little corner and tries to figure things out. Well after running out on his final exams Jacob walks and walks until he comes upon a train that he jumps and finds that it belongs to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth and soon finds himself as the vet for the circus menagerie, where he mets the beautiful star of the show, Marlena.  

August Rosenbluth - August is the animal trainer on the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth and married to Marlena, who is the star. He comes off charming and handsome at first, but soon you see a different side to him as the story goes on. You might be thinking his charming and dashing at first, but you won't be thinking that after awhile.  

Marlena Rosenbluth - Marlena is the star of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth and is the wife of August Rosenbluth. She loves her horses and her job. After Jacob arrives things change for the worse for a lot of people, but she can't stop from falling in love with him. 

Rosie - Rosie is the elephant that no one can train and no one will try to train her. Thinking her as stupid as a bag of hammers they just assume that she knows nothing and that she is untrainable.
  
Walter "Kinko" - Walter is a circus clown and Jacob's bunkmate. Walter is a dwarf and hate all that think him small and unable to do anything. He has a dog named Queenie and he loves her to bits. He might come off harsh and unapproachable, but he warms up to Jacob later in the story.  

Camel - Camel is a sweet old drunk who helps Jacob get a job on Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth. He shows him the ropes and help him out of trouble when he first arrives. 

Overall I give this book ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ - nothing more and nothing less!

No comments:

Post a Comment